The AR metaverse refers to a virtual space in which users can interact with each other and with digital objects using augmented reality (AR) technology. Unlike the virtual world of video games, the AR metaverse integrates with the real world, allowing users to experience a mix of physical and virtual reality. In this space, users can create and customize avatars, interact with other users in real time, and access a variety of experiences and applications. The AR metaverse is expected to have applications in a wide range of fields, including entertainment, education, commerce, and business collaboration. While still in its early stages, the AR metaverse is expected to evolve rapidly in the coming years and change the way we interact with technology and the world around us.
The idea of the metaverse originated in Neal Stephenson’s 1992 science fiction novel Snow Crash, which described a virtual world shared by millions of users. However, the technology needed to make this vision a reality did not exist at the time. In the 2000s, technologies such as augmented reality and virtual reality were developed that paved the way for the AR metaverse. In 2008, Nokia Research Center introduced its “Nokia World 2.0” project, which allowed users to view digital information about the real world through their mobile phone’s camera. And in 2016, the launch of Pokémon Go, an augmented reality mobile game, demonstrated the potential of AR technology to create immersive experiences and attract millions of users around the world.
What is it?
The AR metaverse refers to a virtual space in which users can interact with each other and with digital objects using augmented reality (AR) technology. Augmented reality is a technology that allows digital information to be superimposed on the real world through devices such as smartphones, augmented reality glasses or helmets. In the AR metaverse, users can create and customize avatars, interact with other users in real time, and access a variety of experiences and apps. Unlike the virtual world of video games, the AR metaverse integrates with the real world, allowing users to experience a mix of physical and virtual reality.
The AR metaverse has the potential to transform the way we interact with technology and the world around us. It is expected to have applications in a wide range of fields, including entertainment, education, commerce, and business collaboration. While still in its early stages, the AR metaverse is expected to evolve rapidly in the coming years.
The AR metaverse is an emerging technology that allows users to interact with a virtual environment enriched with elements of the real world. Some precautions to keep in mind when using the AR metaverse are:
- Privacy Security: Metaverse AR Platforms may collect and store personal information from users. Security measures should be taken to protect data privacy, such as setting strong passwords, not sharing personal information with strangers, and carefully reading the terms and conditions of use.
- Physical risks: The use of augmented reality devices can distract users from their surroundings and cause accidents. Therefore, it is important to use technology responsibly, avoiding its use while driving or doing other activity that requires mindfulness.
- Inappropriate Content: The AR metaverse can be used to create and share inappropriate or illegal content. Moderation and reporting measures for inappropriate content should be in place, and users should exercise caution when interacting with other users and content online.
- Addiction and abuse: Like any technology, excessive use of the AR metaverse can be addictive and cause mental and emotional health problems. Users need to be aware of their use and set healthy limits.
- Cost: Use of the AR metaverse may incur additional costs, such as the purchase of devices, accessories, and subscription services. Users must be informed of the associated costs and make informed financial decisions.
Relationship with Facebook
Facebook is a company that has shown great interest in the development of the metaverse AR (Augmented Reality) and has invested significant resources in its research and development. In 2014, Facebook acquired the company Oculus VR, which specializes in virtual reality technology and has been instrumental in the research and development of metaverse AR technology.
In recent years, Facebook has been developing several AR metaverse initiatives, such as Horizon Workrooms, a platform that enables virtual meetings and collaboration in augmented reality environments, and Spark AR, an augmented reality effects creation platform that enables users create and share AR experiences. Additionally, in October 2021, Facebook announced that it was changing its name to Meta to reflect its focus on building the metaverse and its intention to lead the way in building this new platform.
The AR metaverse is an emerging technology that combines virtual and physical elements to create an augmented reality experience. Some of its main features include:
- Integration of the physical and virtual world: The metaverse AR uses augmented reality technology to superimpose virtual objects on the real world, allowing users to interact with both environments in an integrated way.
- Social Interaction: The AR metaverse allows users to interact and communicate with other users in shared virtual environments, making it a very powerful communication and collaboration tool.
- Personalization and creativity: The AR metaverse offers users the ability to customize and create their own virtual environments, allowing for great creative freedom and the ability to create unique and personalized experiences.
- Accessibility: The AR metaverse is an accessible technology that does not require expensive and complicated specialized equipment to use. With devices like smartphones or tablets, users can access augmented reality experiences from anywhere.
- Diversity of Applications: The AR metaverse has a wide variety of applications, from entertainment and gaming to education and training. The technology also has applications in advertising, fashion, health, and many other fields.
Games for the metaverse AR
There are numerous games and apps being developed for the AR metaverse, some of which are already available for use such as:
- Pokémon Go: This augmented reality mobile game allows players to search for, catch, and train Pokémon in the real world.
- Wizards Unite: This augmented reality game allows players to join the community of wizards and wizards to combat evil forces in the real world.
- Minecraft Earth: This augmented reality game allows players to build structures and create Minecraft worlds in the real world.
- Ingress: This augmented reality game allows players to join one of two factions to fight for control of portals that are located in real locations around the world.
- Ghostbusters World: This augmented reality game allows players to join the Ghostbusters to fight ghosts found in the real world.
The AR metaverse is an emerging technology that promises to transform the way we interact with the digital and physical world. Although still in its early stages of development, the AR metaverse is already being used in a variety of applications, from gaming and entertainment to education and training.
-The AR metaverse is its ability to integrate virtual elements into the real world, allowing users to interact with both environments in an integrated manner. This has significant implications in terms of communication, collaboration and creativity, and offers a unique and personalized user experience.
-However, the AR metaverse also poses significant challenges in terms of privacy, security, addiction and cost. Like any emerging technology, it is important to address these challenges responsibly to ensure a safe and positive experience for users.
-The AR metaverse has great potential to transform the way we interact with the digital and physical world, and its evolution will continue to offer new opportunities and challenges for users and the industry in general.
Author: Ivan Paolo Galindo Lopez
Editor: Carlos Ivan Pinzon Romero
University: central University
https://blog.inmersys.com/el-metaverso-ar-de-niantic-está-aqu%C3%ADEntonces, ¿qué es exactamente «el metaverso»?https://economia3.com/metaverso-ejemplos/#:~:text=El%20metaverso%20es%20un%20término,través%20de%20un%20navegador%20web.Qué necesitas para entrar al metaversohttps://www.orange.es/metaverso/noticias/curiosidades/10-caracteristicas-basicas-del-metaverso